Thursday, February 11, 2010

London Recap

From 21st to 25th of January I did what was set already for almost 2 years! I visited Thomas in London, who works for almost 2 years there, and I never had the chance to make a visit. But this time everything worked out. So I took off Friday and Monday from work, which gave me almost 4 days in one of the most attractive cities on earth. Of course, you cannot feel such a huge place with all its history and cultural diversity in such a short time, but one thing is answered very fast. It will not be the last time!
I travelled with EasyJet to Gatwick Airport, where I had to take the train to the city. As it is quiet outside London, it takes you longer to get to the city centre but very convenient. Thomas had to work on Friday, so I checked out the city by myself. Due to the random rain, I focused on less walking around outside than inside. So I visited the National Museum, where are a lot of paintings from 1000 A.C. to the current century presented. In the evening, we had dinner at Gauco, an Argentinean steakhouse. Afterwards, we checked out a club, which was quiet difficult to do, because we haven’t reserved at any one, so we had to ask the doorkeepers. We ended up in Kitts for couple of beers.
Next day, we almost walked the whole day. From Notting Hill to London Eye and London Towerbridge, we saw everything. Quiet funny story: I knew from a friend, that another friend now works in London, but I forgot to write him on Facebook, as I don’t have any phone number of him. So I was quiet disappointed that I forgot to contact him about my visit, but okay. Next time then! I said to me. So we walked through the very very huge Hyde Park and for a sudden a guy was stopping from his running and said “hello, what’s going?!” And… you will not believe it, but it was him! So quiet interesting how small such a big city can be! So we fixed to go out together this evening. We had a lot of fun in a Mexican restaurant in Coventgarden.
Sunday, we took it easy with a longer sleep and a nice breakfast again in Coventgarden. Afterwards, we made the “you-have-to” visit of Harrod’s in Westminster and met another friend of my university time!
On Monday, when Tom was working again, I took a nice long sleep and bought some books at Stonewater’s. Arrived back home in Simmering around 10 p.m.
Thanks to Tom for providing accommodation and acting as a private guide through a terrific city! It will not be the last time to hear: “MIND THE GAP!!!”

Hannes


1 comment: